Exciting times ahead at Brechin City

Brechin City have heralded an “exciting new chapter” in the club’s history.

Scott Inglis
Tuesday, 2nd November 2021, 5:00pm
Exciting times ahead at Brechin City
City midfielder Max Kucheriavyi presses up the park during Saturday's goal-fest. Pic by Graeme Youngson

Over the past few months the club has been part of an incorporation process to convert it into a limited company, allowing, amongst other things, for the possibility of extra outside investment.

Over the summer fans voted overwhelmingly to make the move and on Friday a transfer of the assets and liabilities of Brechin City Football Club to Brechin City Football Club Limited took place.

As part of this transaction, all qualifying adult and concession season ticket holders of Brechin City Football Club have been given 50 ordinary shares of £1 each in Brechin City Football Club Limited and have become shareholders in it.

At the start of this week fans, and all shareholders, were offered the chance to increasing their holding as directors aim to raise £350,000 in order to strengthen the financial position of the Brechin City and secure its long term future.

City said: “We look forward to an exciting new chapter in the history of the club and we hope as many of our supporters as possible will purchase shares and participate in the exciting journey ahead for the club and Brechin.”

On the park, things continue to go well for Andy Kirk’s side.

At the weekend they were involved in a thriller at the Glebe, sharing just the 10 goals with Strathspey Thistle.

City secured the points, though, netting seven of those 10 goals.

The victory sees Brechin sit second in the Highland League, nine points behind Fraserburgh but with a game in hand.

This weekend they travel to ninth place Clachnacuddin.

Speaking to the club website following the weekend’s game, boss Kirk said: “It’s credit to the players because it was a heavy pitch which cut up quite a bit but we still tried to play the right way.

"It was a challenge because we started the game really poorly and with the wrong mindset.

"That’s a lesson for the players because if you start the game poorly you give yourself problems.

"Strathspey got ahead early on and a second quite quickly after that and that wasn’t something we expected.

"But the players fought back to get it to 2-1 and then 2-2.

"We go behind again but make it 3-3 and then it’s 4-3 by half-time.

"In the second half we were in total control of it.”

Kirk was pleased to be able to welcome back some of his regular starters to the squad at the weekend.

He believes that made a telling difference in the end.

"The team has been a bit disrupted over the past couple of weeks with boys coming in and out,” said the manager.

"We spoke about getting back to what we’d been doing at the start of the season by moving the ball and creating problems.

"We did a lot of that.”

The club has also announced that the Scottish Cup third round tie against Darvel FC at Glebe Park has been switched to Monday, November 29 with a 7.45pm kick off.The match will be screened live on BBC Scotland.

This website and its associated newspaper are members of Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO).
© 2023 National World Publishing Ltd.