Arbroath Vics battle but can't edge out Tayport

Tayport…………………….....3Arbroath Victoria………...1

Tuesday, 8th March 2022, 11:20am
Arbroath Vics battle but can't edge out Tayport

Vics really challenged Tayport at the weekend but it was the home side who came away with the three points.

It was an intense and energetic start from both teams with many chances at both ends of the pitch.

An Arbroath free-kick from Sam Clark created a great chance for the away team.

The ball flew into the box and Ross Fraser went for a header but it was well defended by Tayport captain Jamie Hume.

Victoria got the first goal of the match five minutes in when a strike from Joshua Chalmers flew past keeper Darren Brown.

A few minutes later, a foul on Gill meant Tayport had a free kick and a chance to equalise. The free kick was taken by Paterson, but his powerful shot flew over the wall and just too wide of the post.

Tayport got their equaliser in the 35th minute.

A Paterson corner caused a huge scramble inside the box and the ball eventually fell to defender and captain Hume who simply slipped the ball into Lyall’s net.

Less than 10 minutes later Tayport got their second goal.

A fantastic pass from Kris Rollo to Sturrock gave him a great opportunity to take a shot on goal and he did just that. His powerful shot flew past everyone in the box and straight into the top corner of the goal.

Out for the second half and the sun was shining over The Canniepairt.

Only a couple of minutes in Gill had a great chance from a throw in from Heggie, but his shot went just over the crossbar.

Arbroath also had their first chance of the second half not long after.

A Fraser free kick went into the box but it deflected off Tayport’s defence and was easily saved by Brown.

There were a quick succession of chances for Tayport around the 60th minute.

Sludden had a shot but it went over the crossbar and Sturrock also had a couple of shots, but one went too wide and the other also over the crossbar.

With Tayport only leading by one goal, an Arbroath free kick on the edge of the box was dangerous and meant Tayport had to defend well.

It was again taken by Clark but his shot was easily cleared from the box by McColm.

Tayport had a chance to extend their lead once again through Fraser but his shot was saved by Arbroath keeper Lyall.

Tayport got their third and final goal of the match in the 81st minute.

A cross from Luke Emmett found Sludden in the box who simply hit the ball and it rolled past the keeper and into the net.

Tayport, however, were still not safe yet.

An Arbroath corner, taken by substitute Argyle Cairns, caused a huge scramble in the Tayport box.

Keeper Brown managed to get to the ball before it went into his net.

Just before full time Tayport substitute Louis Joyce had a chance through a pass from Gill, but it was punched out by Lyall.

This weekend eighth placed Arbroath Victoria travel to Dundee Violet.

This website and its associated newspaper are members of Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO).
© 2023 National World Publishing Ltd.