Montrose Roselea hold league leaders in a thriller

Montrose Roselea……......3Culter………….….……......3

Tuesday, 23rd November 2021, 10:30am
Montrose Roselea hold league leaders in a thriller
Dylan McDonald heads clear for Roselea. Pic by Phoenix Photography

Roselea entertained high flying Culter as the League leaders visited Links Park. They sat top however they had played five more games than current champs Banks o Dee who sat eight points behind. Roselea were on a tally of 20 points after the first half of 13 games and would be looking to better than in the second half of the season.

Roselea entered the game with a few injury and suspension problems. Stephen Greig was serving a one match ban and on the injured list were Callum Rae, Jordan Harrison, Ryan Taylor and Liam Bailey.

After a later morning downpour which helped the pitch the conditions were flat and calm on a beautiful Autumn day

Roselea: Tweed, Reoch, E Watson, Stephen, Davidson, Beedie, Thomson, McDonald, Garnham & C Watson. Subs: Mitchell, Jamieson, Gill & McCormack

There was some early action for both teams within the first 5 minutes. First Duff broke down the left and picked out Wozniak at the front post and he just steered wide. At the other end Garnham of Roselea did well to steady himself and beat his man with Tait in the Culter goal pulling off a great save to turn the ball behind for a corner.

There was a flashpoint in 8 minutes when Duff caught Reoch after a clearance which happens in games hover there also seemed to be a stamp which infuriated the Roselea dugout and referee McCunnuie took a few moments to calm matters down.

Eric Watson picked up a foul after McDonald lost possession and it ended up being a “good” booking with Culter breaking. From the free kick Tweed pulled off a great save from Wozniaks free kick turning he ball behind from his 25 yard effort. Following the corner Tweed pulled off another fantastic save from Duffs volley.

Roselea were also threatening and they took the lead on 17 minutes. Davidson played the ball down the line to Garnham with just the right amount of pace allowing him to drop in a short cross which Calum WATSON timed his run perfectly to head home from 6 yards.

Culter had chances in 22 and 24 minutes to equalise but found their luck was out, Wilson hit a screaming drive which Tweed did not know much about and the ball struck his body before going behind from a corner. Then Wozniak met a cross perfectly however his looping header came back off the post when he looked like he had scored.

Next to threaten for Culter was Duff again from a free kick but once again the young Roselea keeper was up to the task as he saw the ball round the post.

Youngson played a clever one-two off Wozniak who was proving a handful up front and he was thwarted by Tweed once more as he turned the ball round for a corner.

Half Time: Montrose Roselea 3 Culter 3

Roselea made a tactical switch at half time with Blair Stephen who had been booked replaced by Connor Mitchell and Roselea shuffled things around to accommodate.

Culter got back into the game with a goal which perhaps their first half showing merited. Full back Russell advanced forward and sent in a great ball to the far post and WILSON headed home in 47


Roselea went back in front courtesy of the penalty spot in 53 minutes. C Watson and Petrie who had an off the ball scuffle continued to tangle as they broke in the box and Watson was felled in an act of folly by his opposite number. WATSON accepted the gift and fired the ball into the net off the underside of the bar.

It didn’t stay that way for long as within 2 minutes Culter were back level. DUFF picked up a pass played inside McDonald at full back and cut inside before sending a great curling shot into the top corner despite Tweeds best effort to get more on the ball.

Roselea made a second change with Jamieson replacing McDonald who had picked up an injury in the first half.

After all the great defending they lost a soft goal to go down 3-2. WOZNIAK somehow managed to evade a couple of tackles on the by-line and stabbed a shot from a very narrow angle that fizzed past Tweed into the net in 62 minutes.

Roselea were down but not out and both Davidson and Garnham sent in crosses from the right with nobody placed to head home.

The equaliser came in the 68th minute and was well deserved. Garnham did really well to dispose and go past his opponent and broke into the box before cutting the ball back to Kieran THOMSON who took a touch and curled a great shot into the far let corner of the net.

Gill replaced C Watson who was another who had pulled up with injury but had put in a great shift

Culter would claim to have the rest of the time left pressing Roselea who conceded many corners. The only scary moment came when a long throw was flicked on and hit the bar before coming down on the line and just as it looked as if Youngson would head the ball home Tweed pounced to turn the ball behind with an amazing save.

Full Time: Montrose Roselea 3 Culter 3

Referee J McCunnie (Dundee)

This was a pulsating game from two teams intent on playing football and a great spectacle for the neutral as well as a great advert for the Junior game. Culter could claim to have had more chances in the game they could not deny that Roselea were well worth their point and at certain times that could have easily have been three. The Culter front three were a handful and Roseleas defence did well to limit chances to free kicks mainly. Star man for Roselea was Gregor Tweed who pulled off a few great saves over the piece. With draws all round for the top sides it meant that Culter did not lose any ground at the top.

Next week Roselea head to Sunnybank for a Second Round tie in the Quest Inter Regional Cup. The match at Heatheryfold kicks off at 1.30pm and will be played to a finish with Penalty Kicks required if all square at 90 mins.

This website and its associated newspaper are members of Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO).
© 2022 National World Publishing Ltd.

Follow us