It's goals that count as Roselea edge out East End

Sam Garnham finds the back of the net for Roselea. Pic by Cameron MarshallSam Garnham finds the back of the net for Roselea. Pic by Cameron Marshall
Sam Garnham finds the back of the net for Roselea. Pic by Cameron Marshall
Aberdeen East End………..1Montrose Roselea………...2

After last week’s 2-1 McLeman Cup victory against Aberdeen East End, the two sides were back in action again, this time in a league encounter at New Advocates Park in Aberdeen.

Roselea made an ideal start in 10 minutes when a long through ball was cleared by the home defence only as far as Greig 30 yards out. His slide rule pass into Sam Garnham was gathered 10 yards out and the striker calmly knocked the ball past the onrushing keeper.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The home side went close in 12 minutes when Boulton worked his way down the left and picked out Wood on the edge of the box who played in Joji whose shot from eight yards on the left found the side netting.

Roselea then had to rely on keeper Gregor Tweed when a long ball from Masson found Kerr on the right who homed in on goal and his shot was tipped round the post.

As the half went on, the home side started to take command and had three great chances on the space of two minutes.

Firstly, Wood sent Joji free down the left and his cross into the box was met by Kerr whose shot was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Tweed.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

From the corner the ball fell to Wood and his drive from 20 yards was cleared off the line by Greig and turned behind.

The home side got their rewards five minutes before half time when Conner Wood picked up a ball 30 yards out and hit a stunning strike into the top left corner giving Tweed no chance.

The visitors made a tactical substitution at the start of the second-half with Davidson replacing Gill and changing from a 3-5-2 formation to a 4-4-2.

East End made the first chance when a free kick from Boulton 20 yards out on the left was touched round the post by Tweed.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Roselea regained the lead in 57 minutes when Mitchell played a long cross field ball to Davidson on the right edge of the box who played the ball across goal to Garnham.

His shot from six yards was blocked by the home keeper but fell to Adam Davidson who drilled the ball into the bottom left corner.

The home side almost equalised within 10 seconds of the restart when Boulton sent Kerr clear of the Roselea defence but his flick from 12 yards went inches by the post.

As the second half moved on both sides were limited to half chances.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Mitchell done well to evade a few challenges and sent a ball into C Watson at the edge of the box who rolled the ball onto Davidson but his shot from nine yards went just over. Roselea made 2 further subs bringing on McDonald and Jamieson on for Mitchell and Bailey.

Montrose Roselea were perhaps a little fortunate to come out on top but the margins between the teams in the North Super League can be very slim and it is goals that count.

Next up for Roselea is the final league game of the season against Colony Park in Inverurie with a 2pm kick off.

Related topics: