Arbroath progress in Cup

Arbroath made five changes from the friendly played on Wednesday night as in came Derek Gaston, Ricky Little, Michael McKenna, Bobby Linn and Scott Stewart as Airdrieonians visited Gayfield with the winner knowing they would top Group E.

Monday, 25th July 2022, 3:11pm
Dont Panic this is only for testing ! .
video id is = x8clfyq
player is = x4uxf

Arbroath attacked the Harbour end in the first half but it was the visitors who had the first big chance of the game in the 6th minute. A long ball over the top fell to ex Lichtie Callum Smith, but Derek Gaston was quick off his line and made a big block before getting back up on his feet and saving a Callum Gallagher header on the rebound before Thomas O’Brien cleared.

Arbroath’s first half chance came in the 8th minute when a Jason Thomson cross was met by David Gold but his looping header was wide.

Arbroath did take the lead in the 12th minute when Gold won a header in midfield before finding Bobby Linn who fed in Scott Stewart. As David Hutton came running out, Stewart won the race to the ball and his cut back was swept into he net by Michael McKenna for his his first goal of the season.

Gabby McGill tried to lob Gaston in the 28th minute but his shot curled the wrong way and was cleared by Thomson.

Again the League One side threatened, this time the ball fell to Callum Smith and as he closed in on goal at a tight angle his fierce shot was blocked by Gaston for a corner kick.

Just before the break Bobby Linn cut in and unleashed a low dipping shot but again Hutton was down to make the save.

Arbroath came out all guns blazing in the second half and doubled their lead just 90 seconds after the restart. A cross from Colin Hamilton was hit on the half volley by Gold, which Hutton did well to get down and save, but his save landed at the feet of Kieran Shanks who netted his first senior competitive goal!

Jason Thomson made it 3-0 on the hour mark. Thomson surged down the wing before releasing Stewart whose cross was controlled by Low who took a touch then hit a shot which Hutton saved, but again the rebounded shot was met and this time Thomson headed into the empty net.

A great win for Arbroath who scored 10 goals, conceded one, hit 12 points and made it four wins on the bounce.

This website and its associated newspaper are members of Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO).
© 2023 National World Publishing Ltd.