Police record fewer reported fireworks incidents | Angus World

Police record fewer reported fireworks incidents

Police Scotland recorded fewer calls and incidents on Bonfire Night compared to last year, the force has said.

By
Mark Dowie
Tuesday, 9th November 2021, 11:00am
Police record fewer reported fireworks incidents
Police recorded fewer incidents on Bonfire Night, although some members of the emergency services were targeted.

Local resources and specialist national teams from Police Scotland have again came together to deploy on Friday under Operation Moonbeam, which was introduced in 2018 in response to significant public disorder and antisocial behaviour the previous year.

This had included targeted attacks on the blue light services responding to emergency calls during the Bonfire Night period.

Throughout Thursday, November 5 and Friday, 5 November, 649 calls were received by police in relation to fireworks, and a further 105 regarding fires. In 2020 these figures were 798 and 153, respectively.

Assistant Chief Constable Tim Mairs, Operation Moonbeam lead, said: “Due to the ongoing impact of Covid-19, again, there were fewer organised events this year.

“It is very encouraging that we saw a reduction in calls during this traditionally high-demand period. I want to thank everyone who heeded our advice to enjoy themselves in a safe and responsible manner.

“However, unfortunately a number of police officers as well as colleagues from the other emergency services were targeted by a minority of people intent on causing disorder. I utterly condemn this behaviour

“Thankfully, none of those affected sustained serious injuries but no-one should have to face violence in the course of their duties. These kind of incidents put intense additional pressure on the emergency services and impact our officers’ ability to respond to other people in need. We will continue to thoroughly investigate these incidents in the coming days so as to identify those involved.”

Assistant Chief Officer Stuart Stevens, Director of Service Delivery for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, said: "Attacks on our firefighters are completely unacceptable.

"This type of behaviour not only prevents our crews from bringing any emergency to a safe and swift conclusion, but it can impact on our emergency service colleagues - including the police when they must escort us at the scene.

"This type of behaviour is, of course, carried out by a very small minority and we once again thank our communities for their continuing support and working together with us to stay safe.”

This website and its associated newspaper are members of Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO).
© 2022 JPIMedia Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.

Follow us

crosschevron-downcross-circle